Friday, August 20, 2010

Chapchae, Bulgoki and Kimchi Pancakes



Printable Chapchae recipe here......

I like to lay out all my ingredients before I start cooking.  It makes me feel like Julia Child or maybe Rachel Ray or something....



I soak my dried shitake mushrooms at least 30 minutes if not longer.





Chop your green onions, carrots and garlic....



I like to make my sauce the night before when I'm making the marinade for the bulgogi.  It really saves time on the day I'm making it.



Chapchae is made with noodles made out of sweet potato starch.  All you do is put them in boiling water for 10 minutes.


Drain them, rinse them and snip them.



First you put in the garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, mushrooms, green onions and carrots.



Next you add the spinach leaves.



They wilt very quickly.



After cooking the Bulgoki you add it to the noodles and vegetables.


BULGOGI

(printable copy)



1 - 1 1/2 lbs. beef, ribeye, sliced paper thin
6 Tbs. soy sauce
3 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. honey
4 Tbs. rice wine
2 Tbs. sesame oil
1 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 onion, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced


METHOD
1.Mix together everything except the meat to make a marinade. Rip or cut meat into small pieces and add to marinade mixture. Mix in very well and let sit overnight.
2.Preheat a large skillet or wok with sesame oil. Add beef mixture and cook until browned.
3.Serve over rice.
Serving Size : Serves 4







Finally, add the sauce.







Yaki Mandu
A little trick I have is after pan frying I put the yaki mandu on a cookie sheet and broil for a few minutes. This makes them nice and crispy.



 Kimchi Pancakes




1 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup cabbage kimchi, minced
2 Tbs. green onions, minced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. sesame oil



METHOD:
1.Mix flour, water and salt together and combine with the rest of the ingredients to create a thick "pancake" batter. Heat 2 Tablespoons oil. Place 1/4 of the batter in the pan to form a pancake. Fry until both sides are golden. Reduce heat to low and cook all the way through. Repeat with remaining portions.



The batter goes together very quickly and is almost fail proof!

Just fry......



until golden and.....



Serve with a dipping sauce.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola