Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tanner's Favorite Chili



This Chili has no tomatoes but don't let that stop you from trying it.
You can add pinto beans to it if you like. We serve it over rice with sour cream, cheddar cheese. green onions and cilantro. Oh......and don't forget the saltines!

I like to get all my spices and flour (except paprika) together before I start cooking.





After browning the hamburger and garlic add the spices you've combined ahead of time.

The beer is important here. It really needs to be a dark lager that has a full body, we use Michelob's Amber Bock.



After the beer you add water and paprika. I add quite a bit of paprika, like 1/4 of a 2.12 oz bottle. This gives the chili a great flavor plus it gives it a gorgeous brick red color.

Try it.......it might become your favorite too!

No Tomato Chili

(printable copy)

2 lbs lean ground beef
5 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons chili powder
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
2 -3 cups warm water
paprika
1 (12 ounce) bottle Michelob Amber Bock beer
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained (optional)

In a large dutch oven combine first 3 ingredients and cook over medium heat until meat looks done.

Add the chili powder, flour, pepper, salt and cumin and mix well. Next add the beer, water and paprika. Cook over low heat covered for an hour.

Serve over white rice and top with cheese, sour cream, green onions and cilantro.

3 comments:

  1. I know never to expect a tomato dish here Mika! My hubby would be happy anyway, he is not a fan of tomato and refuses to eat it raw in any way and also hates cooked chunks. I have just ordered myself a dutch oven at a hugely discounted price and a lifetime guarantee - should arrive this week, and as it is winter here I will be making stews and other comforting dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband may like my chili then, Jutta. We do serve it over rice or tortilla chips because it's not super thick (depending how much water you add) but it is very yummy.
    If we have leftovers we put it over baked potatoes. That's good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since Tanner raved about this I HAVE to make it! I'll let you know how it goes...miss ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola