Monday, September 27, 2010

Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese



This butternut squash recipe comes from Nigella Lawson and is available on Nigella.com.






I've never cooked or eaten butternut squash before and I found that I really like it!  It's taste to me somewhere between a squash and a pumpkin. It's not stringy like sweet potatoes in fact after it's cooked it has a very creamy texture to it.



This recipe is so simple yet elegant. Simply chop up a butternut squash into about 1" cubes and pour a little olive oil on along with a sprinkling of thyme out of the garden. I put my pecans in the oven toward the end of cooking so they would get a little roasted. Nigella didn't specify this but roasting them helps bring out their best flavor. I also sprinkled on some good quality balsalmic vinegar about half way through the cooking. I think it gave extra depth to the squash.



Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, take out of the oven and sprinkle on about 4 ounces of blue cheese crumbles.




This dish was so luxuroius served along side with our 
grilled pork.  I can see why others have said they serve 
it at Thanksgiving instead of sweet potatoes.  I'm looking 
forward to trying other recipes with Butternut Squash!

2 comments:

  1. Mika this sounds DEVINE! I love everything in it and can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks delicious! I LOVE butternut squash, can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola