Thursday, September 30, 2010

Carrot Cake Cupcakes




Those of you who have been following Mika's Pantry may notice a certain lack of desserts on my blog. I'm more of a savory, spicy, wine and cheese kind of girl. I'm not really into sweets per se but yesterday was my dear husband's birthday and at his request I made Carrot Cake Muffins.





A few weeks ago I picked up the Tessa Kiros book "Falling Cloudberries" which not only has the coolest name for a cookbook but is also one of the most beautiful cookbooks I've ever seen. I remembered seeing a carrot cake recipe in it and I have been dying to try it so I decided to use that recipe. I'm so glad I did! It's not only absolutely delicious but easy to make as well!




Carrot Cake (adapted from Tessa Kiros)

(printable copy)

4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup oil. preferably sunflower or light olive oil
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 carrots, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Icing

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup cream cheese
3 drops vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put eggs and sugar in a standing mixer and beat until light and creamy then blend in the oil.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to the egg mixture, blending well to combine. Add the carrots and walnuts and blend until the mixture is well combined.

Pour mixture into muffin cups that have been prepared with paper liners. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

While the cupcakes are baking, make the icing. Blend together the butter, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla with an electric mixer till combined.

When cupcakes are cool, spread the icing over the tops with a spatula and either leave or top with chopped walnuts.




Happy Birthday Jimmy! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Your cupcakes looks yummy in their stand! Happy Birthday, Jim!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola