Sunday, September 5, 2010

Meatball Pesto Subs


Jim and I were talking on our way back from biking around Lake Hefner this morning and decided we needed to make some pesto to freeze. We were also talking about what to make for lunch.........I was hungry for meatballs..........so...........viola!





We have an abundance of basil right now and don't want it to go to waste. I love having some pesto made up in the freezer so I can have a taste of summertime even in the depths of winter.  I'm also so fortunate that all my kids love pesto as much as Jim and I do.


I am using my low-fat pesto recipe, if you'd like to try it click here.



Thank goodness for gardens! I made 5 batches of pesto this afternoon 1 to use and 4 to freeze to use this winter. That much basil would have cost a small fortune at the market. I plan on making a few batches every weekend until my garden poops out.



These meatballs whip up really fast and melt in your mouth. I find using my cookie scoop works really well. Every meatball is the same size and you don't overwork the meat and make it tough.




Meatballs

(printable copy)


1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

Mix all ingredients in together in a bowl using your hands.

Use a small cookie scoop to drop on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until done.

To download a copy of this recipe click here.



Okay.....tell me that doesn't look good? A nice crusty roll, pesto, meatballs and mozzarella cheese.

We think next time we will add some nice garlic butter sauted fresh mushrooms.



A little sprinkle of red pepper flakes........absolutely amazing!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you were busy making all that pesto! The sandwich looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola