Sunday, September 19, 2010

Shish Kabobs, Fried Halloumi, Rosemary Garlic Bread with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar


Jim and I enjoy working in the kitchen together and try to make Sunday night dinners just a little extra special....and it was.

We made shish kabobs with beef and chicken and used a teriyaki marinade.




Shish Kabob Marinade for Beef and Chicken

(printable copy)

1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 rice vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon fresh garic, minced
2 red peppers, minced

In a small saucepan combine soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice and vinegar to heat until sugar disolves. Cool and add the rest of the ingredients. Use to marinage beef or chicken.




We grilled lots of veggies.... baby peppers, onions, mushrooms, new potatoes and some lovely fresh pineapple too.



I made the same No Knead Bread I made yesterday but I added about a tablespoon of minced garlic and a teaspoon of chopped rosemary. OMG! It was so good dipped in the Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar.

I found an easier method for cooking the bread, after letting it rise for about 20 hours I just threw it on a heavy cookie sheet dusted with cornmeal and let it rise for 2 hours. Then I just baked it for 35 minutes. I think it turned out just as well as all that dutch oven stuff and it's MUCH easier!







I was SO excited today to finally find some Halloumi cheese!

We went over to my friend Lori's house (which I will be blogging about tomorrow) and stopped at Forward Foods right around the corner from her and they had some halloumi.  I've been so anxious to try it after reading about it in so many cookbooks. Halloumi is a traditional Cypriot cheese and is made from a mixture of Sheep's and Goat milk.



The fun thing about Halloumi is that it has a high melting point so it can be fried or grilled.


I love Sunday nights........

2 comments:

  1. I wish we'd had dinner with you! That could have been the price for storing the cheese! I love your blog - it certainly gives me an answer when Dennis says: What do you want for dinner this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Jennifer W. sent me to your blog. I love to cook too! And eat. I can tell we will be good friends. lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola