Thursday, October 21, 2010

Caramelized Onion Pita Burgers


When I was younger in the 1970's my mom would make this sandwich which was basically a hamburger patty with caramelized onions and sour cream in a pita pocket. I remember it being a favorite of mine and my brother and sister, so I took it and added a few of my favorite spices to give it a modern twist for my kids to try.





Although, I changed most everything else I didn't change anything about the onions......they are flavorful caramelized golden rings as it is.


To the 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef I added 1 slice of bread that I toasted and crumbled for breadcrumbs, 1/2 grated onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. I mixed the everything together and set out to grill until done.

*Don't ask how we ended up with a Ken's Pizza tray. Maybe that's why they went out of business...........people stealing their trays. ;)

The topping my Mom used was just plain sour cream but I added 1 teaspoon of dill to it gave a wonderful fresh punch against the savoriness of the meat. My family just loved it although it was a tad messy to eat but they didn't care!

What are some of your favorite dinner's from the 1970's? Let me know.........I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I wish you were cooking in my kitchen! I love a good burger! This sounds like a nice meal for next weeks menu!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola