Monday, October 11, 2010

Sweet Cornbread


Do you love Cornbread?

I do...... I could eat it at every meal.

If I have managed to hide a piece from dinner (which doesn't happen often) I will eat it for breakfast with warm honey or maple syrup drizzled on top.


If it would hold together I would make a sandwich out of it.

(I'll work on this one.)

If I have any soup, stew or chili, I have to have cornbread.

Yes......I love cornbread in any form but in my book it has to be sweet cornbread.


Sweet Cornbread

(printable copy)

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted


Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, oil and butter in small bowl and mix well. Add to flour mixture and stir just until blended.
Pour into baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
For corn muffins, spoon batter into muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans.



See how the batter is bubbling around the sides of the pan? If you put the cast iron skillet into the oven to get nice and hot before you pour in the batter it will make a wonderful crispy crust.




You can see how nice and brown the edges are.



Can someone please distract my family while I hide some for breakfast, please?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola