Monday, November 8, 2010

Sauerkraut Chowder



If you like sauerkraut...........I have just the soup for you.
I've been making this soup for quite a few years and my family loves it. It's a bit of a quirky spin on potato soup. Picture potato soup with the tart sourness of kraut and the rich smokeness of kielbasa. Getting the yummy picture?
I also want to try a different version of this soup sometime this winter. Instead of sauerkraut I want to use kimchi. Well..if you think about it, kimchi is just a wonderful spicy variation of sauerkraut, right? Korean food is close to our hearts and I love using the ingredients in new and unusual ways, so watch for this in the not so distant future.


Sauerkraut Chowder

(printable copy)


3 -4 large russet potatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut
1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (1 lb) package kielbasa, fried or grilled and diced
water
salt and pepper, to taste

Cut potatoes into bite size pieces place in a dutch-oven, cover with water, add onions and boil until cooked through and fork tender.
When potatoes are done add sauerkraut, evaporated milk and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is completely blended.
Add the chopped Kielbasa and salt and pepper to taste
Cover and cook at a low simmer for 30 minutes.



I served our chowder with a scattering of cheese and some nice warm buttered french bread. You can't get better comfort food than this, come on winter..........I'm ready for you!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds very interesting. It is definitely not a German thing, but a nice twist with the Sauerkraut. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the title, I couldn't wait to see the recipe and it sounds delicious - I'll have to add this to the try list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something that would make my "Irish/English" hubby very happy! I'll add it to the menu! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting Mika. My parents were German so I grew up on Sauerkraut but my hubby hates it so I rarely make it. I love it just sweetened with a little sugar, fried and served with pork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try this next week! We love polish sausage and saurkraut so I think this will be great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola