Friday, December 3, 2010

My Cookbook Find



As I've mentioned before, I collect cookbooks. I usually pick books from current Chefs like Tessa Kiros, Nigella Lawson, Bill Granger or Jamie Oliver but my friend Lori told me about the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

Every year she has two parties to show and sell her cards and other items she handcrafts. (You have to check out her blog, Choux Choux....she is does some amazing paper cards and crafts with vintage images.)

The food, usually cookies and other sweets are always delicious! She told me she uses recipes out of her 1946 (I think that's the year) Fannie Farmer cookbook.




She made a believer out of me! While on a road trip to Guthrie today, Jim and I checked out quite a few antique stores and one of them had a 1951 Fanny Farmer cookbook for only $12! I just checked on ebay and found the exact copy selling for over $42!



Thanks Lori!  I can't wait to try the Sugar Cookie recipe this weekend while making Christmas cookies with Jimmy and Bay!

10 comments:

  1. Great find! Good luck on the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great find!!! I love cookbooks too, but I only have a couple. What a great thing to collect!

    -The Menu Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew $12 was a good price! I hope you love your Fannie Farmer cookbook as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the 1938 edition at my house! I love the menus section and I love buying old cookbooks because of the glimpse into another person's life. The inscription in my copy reads: "Thirty-fifth Anniversary, February 5th, 1940--Wishing you two many more of these."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to find an older one. I felt pretty good about the 1951 hardback because all I had seen up to that was a 1979 paperback and newer. I'm still going to keep my eyes open for another one! Don't tell Jimmy though....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also collect cookbooks, I have a different version of that one, it's a multi volume set that my mom had, it's quite unique. Last year my husband gave me a recipe box with recipes from the 1930's in it! I love it! I'll be keeping an eye out for that one . . . have a great weekend!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the cookies! I will be visiting your site weekly to help plan my meals. Thanks for following me; I'm now following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mika, thanks for following my blog! i'm happy to return the favor :)

    this is a fun way to cook! i'd love to do up some 1952 recipes for my parents' birthdays next year!

    april
    www.marineparents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm your newest follower from meet and follow sunday.

    i can't wait to get to know you better!

    i'd love for you to come by my blog and follow!

    http://diaryofadevildogwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How awesome for you! I had quite a collection before I moved to NZ, but decided to donate them to a friend's charity. I love the tips and the way they were written back then!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola