Sunday, January 9, 2011

Beef Stew with Rosemary


It is snowing lightly here in Oklahoma today so we wanted something warm and comforting for dinner.  Jim wanted me to make my beef stew and I thought it was a great idea because I've been wanting to make a cottage pie.  I plan on using the leftovers as the base for it tomorrow night for dinner.  Just because we are snowed in for a couple of days doesn't mean we can't eat well!  




Beef Stew with Rosemary
2 lbs. lean stew meat , cubed
cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 (14 oz) cans beef broth
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons, cornstarch
2 teaspoons, water

Coat beef in cornstarch and cook in oil in a large pot until brown.  Pour in beef broth and stir in rosemary, parsley, pepper and garlic.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Stir in potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and cabbage into the pot.  Dissolve cornstarch in 2 teaspoons cold water and stir in stew.  Cover and simmer 1 hour more.



I think there is a trick to getting stew meat good and tender.  I put the meat in a large baggy and shake cornstarch over the top and then sear it till it gets a good color on it.  

Another hint is to sear the meat in small batches.  If you put it all in to sear at once the meat will steam and get tough.
Keep the batches small and the stew meat will melt in your mouth!

I also cook the meat in the beef broth studded with all that good rosemary and parsley for an hour before you add the veggies.  This insures the meat gets well cooked and the vegetables don't get overcooked.


I had a helper in the kitchen today.  This is my daughter Bay.  She is a great little helper.  Bay loves to cook and make lots of treats for her big brothers Ty and Tan.   

I like to serve our stew with a thick rustic sourdough loaf or my  sweet cornbread.  They both go so good with that wonderful rosemary scented broth.  Pure comfort food!

32 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    Just stopping by to say thanks for following my blog. Following yours as well ;)
    Warm regards,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipes! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to make some of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I am totally going to make this tomorrow. It is stew kind of weather here in Japan too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious! So comforting and warm in such cold weather. Thank you for sharing and inspiring others with your creative flare with all things culinary!
    Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks yummy! Now, I have a graving for cornbread!
    Thanks for the follow. :) Now following you back.
    Cheers~!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love beef stew- never tried it with rosemary! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm I love beef stew especially when its chilly out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for following! im now following you back! awesome blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for popping in on my blog, now I am following you! That stew looks super yummy!
    Peace, Love and Light- Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good. I love to make home made stew too. Great for football Sundays.
    New followers.
    Stop by when you get a chance.
    http://www.creatorscreatures.blogspot.com
    http://www.intentionalconsciousparenting.com
    http://theblogfrog.com/1355013

    ReplyDelete
  11. This look sooo yummy and cooking is much more fun with a friend.. I never cook without one! Also wanted to let you know that you won a giveaway on my blog @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/01/yes-sir-we-have-winner-or-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!

    I am stopping by from FMBT.I am your newest follower. Please follow me too. Have a great day!

    Leslie
    www.livelovelaughwithleslie.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. DON'T COOK, CAN'T COOK, DON'T WANT TO COOK...ok...I HATE TO COOK!
    I burn I don't cook. See my blog entry #90 to see what I am talking about.

    I can't remember if I have contacted you.

    If I haven't Hello...

    It is my delight to always welcome followers. I guess I am going to need to type up a list and check them off when I welcome them. Never figured I would have so many followers that I would have to make a list.

    Hopefully when you visit you will find something that makes you smile or laugh out loud.

    This is THERAPY for me as I care for my 99 year old father 24/7/365 and I don't get out of the house much.

    I don't follow many blogs any more. Just don't have the time because I care for my 99 year old father 24/7/365. However, I make it a point to go to the blog of a person commenting on mine, and return the favor.

    I am hoping to hear from you.

    kt

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will try this.. My husband is a big stew fan..
    Following you from FMBT
    Kelly
    I've Become My Mother

    ReplyDelete
  15. Similar to how I make but I've not tried rosemary, I'll have to give that a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks fabulous!! I love a nice warm bowl of beef stew on a snowy day like today! :) Thanks for stopping by and following for FMBT! You should link up your recipes for my Tasty Tuesday linky each week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how did I not find this blog before?!!!
    Newest follower with FMBT; hoping you'll stop by and follow me back :)
    www.victoria-nouveau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness girl, the stew looks yummy, I especially like the little corn bread on the side. Thanks for the follow, I now follow you.
    Love the blog! Mary O

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am your newest follower from Tuesday-Train! Please follow me back at My Blog Thanks, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm Your newest follower from FMBT, hope you will follow me back here@ Step It Up!

    Jijie :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I saw the first pic what caught my eye was actually the cornbread! Didnt even have to request the recipe... Thanks for linking it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great! Following back from the Green Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stopping by from Jenny's Reviews and Giveaways! I follow you! Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a wonderful recipe for the cold weather! Thanks for following my blog - stopping by to follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds delicious!

    Thanks for joining the Green Mama Blog Hop! I'm your newest follower! :)

    -Jessica
    And Then There Were 4...
    http://www.giveawaysandlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey! Thanks for stopping by "A World Of Crafts". I already follow you! :) Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look delicious!

    Thanks so much for dropping by the Be-Bop-A Blog Hop! I'm a follower and I hope you'll stop by again soon! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Following you via Wandering Wednesday. Hope you will follow me too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks delicious! I've never added rosemary to beef stew, but I can't wait to try this now!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi! I found your site on the blog hop and I'm loving it! I also have a food blog - I hope you will stop by when you have time!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks quite tasty. I also LOVE the Pioneer woman cookbook - good stuff! Now following you from the Wed blog hop. Come follow me when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi! I'm a new follower. I found your blog through the green mama blog hop.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola