Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pesto Alfredo Pizza Rolls


I mentioned when I made my German bierocks
how good my kolache dough was.  Well, I wanted
to use it another savory way so I decided to make
some Pizza Roll Ups.  They are like cinnamon rolls
except they have pizza ingredients in them.  It’s 
like a calzone but easier and more fun to make!



                                               
                                                   Pizza Roll Ups

                                                     (printable copy)
 
1 (.25 oz.) envelope fast acting dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter (melted and cooled)
1 egg, beaten
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Sprinkle yeast over the warm milk in a large bowl and
let stand until foamy. (About 5 minutes)

In a mixer with dough hook add the sugar, salt, butter,
egg and milk/yeast mixture. Slowly add the flour, a
little at time until it is completely mixed in and the
dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Lightly flour countertop and knead the dough for 5
minutes. Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking
spray and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel.
Place in a warm, draft free place and let double in size,
approx. 1 hour.
Put dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll into 
a large rectangle approx. 9" x 15".  Top with whatever
pizza toppings you want and roll up cinnamon roll style
starting at 15" end.  Once it's rolled up pinch your seam
together using a little water if the dough needs help
sticking. 

Using a piece of string, place it about an inch under your
roll and bring up pull across each other and cut your rolls. 
Place on a cookie sheet covered in foil and sprayed with
non-stick cooking spray.  

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until 
golden brown.  You may need to broil for a minute or two
to get it nice and brown. 



Besides the dough recipe there really isn't a recipe. 
You can use whatever filling you like.  I happened to
have some leftover pesto and alfredo sauce so I mixed
them together to make a lovely creamy green sauce.
Next I sprinkled on my mozzarella cheese, pepperoni,
pineapple tidbits, green pepper, black olives and
mushrooms.  Don’t forget to add a sprinkling of garlic
powder and oregano to the top before rolling it up.



I have made my share of pizzas at home but my
kitchen has never smelled exactly like a pizzeria
before but this time………Oh my gosh………………
the smell was amazing!  My husband raved about
these things for days.  Sadly, I made them on a
weeknight when my boys were away at the dorms.
My youngest son Tanner texted that night and
asked what we were having for dinner.  I sent him
a picture from my iphone and his response was
“Damn that looks good"!



“It looks better than this"...which was his dinner.
LOL!  I agree Tanner.......I think mine was better
and I promise to make you and your brother some
next time you are home from college.

3 comments:

  1. They look delicious Mika. You'd asked about growing basil inside, but I have no advice except it needs lots of sun. We moved some into the greenhouse this year but not sure how it will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what an awesome idea...I want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mika, these pzza roll bites are fab - so much more dainty to eat this way, than a slice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola