Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Perfect Soft Boiled Egg



I have been trying to make a perfect egg my whole life.  I've tried 
poaching, frying and even baking.  I've finally found a fool proof 
method of making a perfect egg.  Soft boiling....   but there are as 
many different methods as there are people.  Everyone has there 
own method.  I even tweeted Donal Skehan (the amazing Irish chef) 
and here is his method.






 I pop them in cold and bring up to boil and then time
for 4 minutes or so from the boil! :)


Here is the method that works for me.....  I put my water on to boil.  Take cold eggs and pierce them with a pin and set them aside until the water is boiling rapidly.  (The piercing is so the shells won't break while 
cooking)

Using a wooden spoon I gently drop the eggs into the boiling water.  Turn on the timer for 6 minutes.  Here is where it depends on how you like your eggs.The ones in the pictures are exactly 6 minutes.  I like them from 6 minutes to 6 minutes and 30 seconds.  I would never go over 7 minutes.  

Next I run cold water over the eggs and peel them.  Set them on top of a good piece of toast and smooch away adding salt and pepper.





Voila!  The perfect soft boiled egg on toast, grits, breakfast tacos or anything you can think of!


3 comments:

  1. It does look perfect. I rarely ever cook a soft boiled egg but had them often as a kid - 2 eggs in a bowl with a slice of bread torn in pieces and mixed up. pretty basic breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw Jacques Pepin pin-poke the eggs to do the exact same thing! I have to tell you, your eggs look as perfect as his!!!

    Enjoy!!! There's nothing like a fresh egg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just had a quick question in regards to your website. If you could email me at your convenience that would be great!

    Thanks,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Likely Lola